Day 44 Shaldon to Ladram

I had a lovely stay at Farthings B&B in Shaldon. It was a bit quirky but I had the best cooked breakfast so far and what I couldn’t eat, was converted into a lunch for me! 

I walked across the bridge to Teignmouth and joined a path to the town centre. There wasn’t much to see and soon the path brought me alongside the railway line. 



That was a long level path pretty much all the way to Dawlish, other than a climb over Hole Head. The two ‘stacks’ are called the Parson & Clerk and were named after an old folk tale involving an ambitious parson, who wanted to be a Bishop and his clerk. Allegedly the Parson was tricked by the Devil and cast to stone! 


I stopped in Dawlish for a quick cup of coffee, then continued on. The stayed following the railway line and it was this bit of the line that was washed away in storms a few years ago. 


Eventually, I reached Dawlish Warren, which is essentially a village. However, it was a real trip down memory lane, because it so reminded me of holidays during my childhood to Butlins! The place was awash with chalets and entertainment venues etc! 

From there, I pushed on to Starcross to catch the hourly ferry to Exmouth. I made the 12:10 with a couple of minutes to spare! 


I didn’t hang around in Exmouth, other than to have a pint at a pub on the front. The promenade goes on for quite a long way and gave me the opportunity to watch some kite surfers! 


There was then a bit of a climb up to the Geoneedle, which marks the start of the Jurassic Coast UNESCO World Heritage Site! 



The path then dropped down into a massive mobile home park. It was huge, with hundreds if not thousands of caravans. Bizarrely, it surrounds  Straight Point Rifle Range, a military firing range. There was ‘live’ firing as I passed which was quite noisy, so goodness knows why you’d want to have a holiday next to it! 


There was a couple of climbs before I dropped down into Budleigh Salterton. I didn’t venture into the town but did stop on the front for a ‘cream tea’. 


After that little reviver, I then followed the official path, to avoid the river at the end of the beach. It was quite demoralising knowing that you were walking in the wrong direction! After 3/4 of a mile or so, there was a bridge, followed by a walk virtually back to where you started. Imagine my annoyance when not only did it look possible to wade across the river, but I later learned that it was possible! 


I continued on over the headlands, which provided some great views of tomorrow’s walk! 


Eventually, I reached Ladram Bay, another huge holiday park, but this one takes campers. It also meant I caught up with Steve & Anna ( who had forged ahead of me in the last couple of days). The dream team is back together😳

Today, I have walked just over 20 miles! My feet are tired but other than that I’m okay! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 50 Wyke Regis to West Lulworth

Post Hike Review

Torquay to Shaldon